Frequently asked questions
1. How many people will the box feed?
- We plan the boxes for a family of 4, including two adults and two smaller appetites. Some items in the box are meant to be tasting potions, which we will be sure to call out on the menu, other items will be larger, full servings. If you need more servings for your family, there are two options:
a) Purchase additional servings listed next to the weekly Travel Dinner Box to bulk up your box.
b) Check our retail store, Cured Market, for additional fresh items along with bulk freezer items to add onto your Travel Dinner Box purchase by 4p on the Wednesday before.
2. How much cooking is involved once I receive my box?
- We do all of the prep work and will give you all the components to make finishing your meal as easy as possible. However, numerous studies have shown that kids are more likely to try new foods if they are involved in preparing them, so we try to incorporate one interactive element in each box. In previous travels, participating junior chef's have helped to pipe chocolate mousse into giant fortune cookies (Japan), stuff raviolis (Italy) and create bananas foster crepes (Louisiana).
3. My kids are picky - will they find enough to eat?
- Oh, we have been there! Getting kids to try new foods can be tricky, but it is one of the greatest way to introduce them to new cultures. We have also created a Pinterest page full of great tips on ways to entice your kids to try new flavors. Most cuisines offer variations of familiar foods; rices, pastas, chicken, desserts and we aim to include something that they can relate to in each box.
4. What are the advantages to subscribing?
- Our subscriptions began at the suggestion of a customer who forgot to purchase their order one week. They were crushed to find out that box had sold out by the time they noticed. In addition to the benefit of knowing dinner is taken care of one night a week, out Early Fall subscribers receive a discounted rate on their boxes, a travel map for their families to track all of the places they have "visited" and a travel diary to record highlights of their experiences. All these items will come with their first box within their subscription.
5. We are trying to be as environmentally friendly as possible - are you able to reuse the cardboard boxes if we save them and return to you?
- While we cannot reuse the boxes for meal deliveries, we share the concern for recycling whenever possible. To that end, we have put together a Pinterest Board full of ideas of how to upcycle your travel boxes for kids crafts, STEM activities and storage. If you have a creative idea we have not yet featured, please let us know, we would love to share it with other families!
6. Why do some weeks not include a drink?
- In order to make sure the boxes stay as affordable as possible, we vary the "extras" that come with each dinner. Your box will always include an appetizer, at least one entree, sides and, a dessert. Rotating items may include a virgin beverage; with suggested alcohol pairings for those ready for an adult treat, a small activity or a trinket representative of that country.
7. We missed a box we would have loved to try, will you repeat destinations?
- Right now there are still so many places that we want you to explore, so we haven't yet repeated a country. However, there is always something exciting about visiting a place a second time with the intention of exploring further. While we may not repeat a box exactly, please let us know of places on your travel bucket list and we may combine some past favorites with new destinations on our next itinerary.